CYAS Grass Volleyball Rules
©2019 CYAS, all right reserved, last rev. 7-5-19
League communications will happen via the bluesombrero registration system. CYAS cannot be responsible for communication for any unregistered players. In the event of questionable weather, we will text/email to registered players via the registration system.
Team Substitutions- If a team does not have enough players to field a team, they may get a substitute:
CYAS GRASS VOLLEYBALL GAME RULES
Number of Players
1. A full team consists of either 4 or 6 players (see the website), and a minimum of half that are required for a game (2 or 3, respectively).
2. When playing with a lineup of 6 players, a minimum of 2 must be female/male.
3. When playing with a roster of 4 players, a minimum of 1 must be male/female.
4. The gender ratio may be changed only if agreed upon by both captains prior to the start of the match. There should be no forfeits; a team may have to play short.
Starting the Game
1. League games will begin promptly at the scheduled time.
2. If any team cannot field the minimum number of required eligible players within 5 minutes of the scheduled start time, that team will forfeit the game.
3. In the case of a double forfeit, each team will be scored a loss for the game and the game will not be replayed.
4. A representative from each team will (rock, paper, scissors-best of 1).
The winner chooses (the loser gets the remaining option):
a. to serve
b. which side to defend first
Playing the Game
1. Both underhand and over hand serves are allowed.
2. There is absolutely no net touching on block, spikes, or during game play. Any infraction is a loss of point. PLEASE CALL YOUR OWN NET INFRACTIONS!
3. Reaching over the net to play the ball is not allowed, with the exceptions of blocking and attack hitting where you have already made contact with the ball on your side of the net and your follow through ends up on the opposing team's side of the net. See link for further details: https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/3897/in-volleyball-when-is-it-considered-reaching-over-the-net
4. Teams must consistently rotate, including subs. The line-up may only switch between games, or for late players to join.
5. Games will be played with rally scoring (every serve is a point for one team or the other) played to 25 points win by two. To cut down on time, during season play games will go only to the first team to get 28 points, if a win by two has not been achieved prior to 28.
6. Third Game
a. The third game will always be played, because it is taken into account for tournament seeding (tie-breakers).
b. The third game will go to 15 (less than 15 min), 21(15-20min), or 25 (20min+) points, depending on the time remaining.
c. If teams are 1-1 in the first two matches they will rock-paper-scissors again to start the third game of the match, with the same initial options for the winner/loser. If a team has lost the first 2 games they will get to choose for the third (charity rule).
7. If there is disagreement, or interference, on a point the point will be replayed.
8. If a rule needs to be clarified, a game timeout may be called to ask the commissioner. There will be no refs, so please call your own penalties and play with charity.
1. All players must wear tennis shoes or bare feet. Please no cleats or boots for the safety or others feet.
2. Volleyballs and nets will be provided by CYAS. Teams must use the equipment that is provided.
Divisional Distinctions, where applicable:
· In casual division, hard spiking is only allowed when directed at an equally matched player. If you feel you were spiked on too hard, please kindly ask for a re-serve of the point. This is a fun league!
· In intermediate division, there should be a mix of skill levels, but all players should be willing to be spiked on and at least striving to bump, set, and spike regularly.
· In competitive division, all players are expected to bump & set fairly consistently. Spiking will frequently be hard and blocking will be regular. If you are not able to perform bumping and setting consistently you, or your team, may be moved to a different division.